Praise God and His Mercy - a Little Wakeup Call in Hawaii

Share your prayer requests and praises.

Praise God and His Mercy - a Little Wakeup Call in Hawaii

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:02 pm

As many of you know by now, we had a "little" jolt in Hawaii. The quake was centered a few miles north-northwest off of Kailua Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. It measured 6.7 on the Richter scale and occurred at approximately 7:08 AM HST Sunday. We here over on Oahu (4 islands and about 150 miles away) felt it. This was the first time in my recollection that I actually felt an earthquake.

I was awake but still lying in bed when the first tremor hit. Men get blamed for everything, haha! My wife says, "Hey, whatta you doing?!?" It didn't sink in until about 5 seconds later that this was an earthquake. There was a smaller aftershock about 5 minutes later when I was, errrr, in the "reading room". Then the power went out.

There were rock slides on the Big Island, some structural damage to a few buildings, but amazingly no one suffered serious injury. Someone suffered a broken arm but that was the extent of the casualties, Praise God! Our govenor happened to be visiting the Big Island so she immediately took a helicopter survey of the damage. On a sad note, she described how historic Kealakekua Bay was rearranged by a rockslide. The Captain Cook monument was destroyed too.

Back on Oahu the power was restored in most areas by early morning the next day. In our area, we had power back by 2:30 PM that day. My take on this is that God gave us all a little reminder about who is really in control!

Needless to say, we had an unplugged worship service at church. Surprisingly, over half the congregation showed up even though the police had recommended that people stay home due to non-fuctional traffic lights. But it was still an awesome service!

We are sometimes caught up in the trappings of modern life: Cell phone, microwave oven, high speed internet access, cable TV, etc. But when the power is out we are at His mercy. And merciful He was on this particular occaision. What an awesome God!
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Return to The Prayer Tower