Slippahs For Da Children!

Share your prayer requests and praises.

Slippahs For Da Children!

Postby 1stwahine » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:27 pm

My Christmas Wish is for Slippahs for the children of Mayor Wrights Housing where I live. Everything was going as planned and then one after another things started to happened. The person who was helping me, her brother passed away and she was unable to help me get the needed information on schedule. I hurriedly had to complete the task at hand and findly found someone to help me again. Still, the time was over taking us.

To make matters worse, I was stricken with pneumonia! Ahhh, all was not lost. Marlene whose brother died came back with her sister and took over again. All the information was completed.

Alas, it was too late.

When I contacted the person who was going to contact her Media friends for funds to help with the making my Christmas Wish come true ~ she didn't know whether her friends would be able to donate at this time.

I told her not to worry. I would pray on it. The God I know and Love will see this through. Within 1/2 hour later she sends me another email telling me that there may be hope afterall.

She went to a meeting later last night and collected $140.00. The others would like an account set up to send checks to. I don't think that would be necessary for it is not like a MDA or an Cancer Marathon. It's only for 500 pairs of Slippahs!

I have a policy on my Blog not to ask for any money or any donations. I broke my own rule yesterday. I asked my readers for help and recieved several responses. I am in awe of the love and power of GOD. He listen. He cares. He makes wishes comes true.

I had depended on the person and her friends to make my wish come true. I didn't have to. All I needed at the start was God.

Yes, it is cutting it close. Thusday is the Christmas Party for the children at MWH. I still don't even know how much more will be needed to cover the costs. I know one thing...it will be covered.

I have FAITH! :P

Merry Christmas to one and all!
:wink:
1stwahine
1stwahine
Children's Choir

Update

Postby 1stwahine » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:30 pm

...update! the Slippahs have been ordered! All 5oo pairs! No donations have arrived so far. My Webmaster will be paying for it all. If any donations come in, that's how he will be reimbursed. He's not worried. He's doing it for the children.

Pledges have been made. That's great to hear. the main thing is the Slippahs will be there for those little feet to run, walk, go to school, play and whatever they want to do. just like other children do.

God is awesome. God is good. God takes care of the children.

1stwahine :D

update: December 20th 8:16 p.m.

Donations and Pledges exceeds costs of Slippahs! Excess Funds will go towards wrappings and help with Christmas Party! The Power of Prayer can do anything!!!!! :o
1stwahine
Children's Choir

Postby scrivener » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:40 pm

Lynn:
That's a great story. Can you tell us more about this party, and what your role in it was? Is the slipper thing something you thought of and organized yourself? It sounds like a good cause; five hundred pairs, you say? Wow.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Slippahs

Postby 1stwahine » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Scrivener, It all started out on a thread at Hawaii Threads.com by another member, Adrian, entitled "Christmas Wishes." I posted my Christmas Wish and another member wanted to know how she could help in making it come true. From there it blossomed.

That member collected funds and several members donated money for the cause.

The Christmas Party is sponsored by the Mayor Wright Housing Tenant Association and this will be the 3rd Annual. Nothing has ever been given out like the Slippahs.

It was not easy getting the information of names, feet sizes and amount of children in the project. I recieved help from the Youth Group. However, they were snags after snags that befell us but prayers were answered and God saw us through.

Tomarrow is the Big Day. The Slippahs are paid in Full! There is extra money to purchase and help out with the party but I'm leaving that decision to my WebMaster and friend, Blaine. Right now, I'm battling a fever again and praying that I make it to the festivites tomarrow night.

Newspaper reporters and Television crews will be on hand to film the magical Christmas Spirits when the children pick up their "Slippahs!"

Yes, tomarrow...My Christmas wish comes true! :P
1stwahine
Children's Choir

Postby scrivener » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:02 pm

I think I'll call Blaine and see if we can organize something for a future such project. I mean, really, it's such a simple thing, but I can see how it would make a big difference for so many people. Amazing (but certainly not surprising) that Blaine stepped up and took care of the finances of this thing and then for the response to be so overwhelmingly supportive.

I wonder if he'd consider applying whatever's left over to next time. Perhaps we can either do this twice a year or spend the next year getting the logistics taken care of before we get down to "crunch time," like this year.

Lynn, whether you make it out there or not tomorrow, you're awesome.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Slippahs

Postby 1stwahine » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:14 pm

GOD is Awesome!

...I'm just a shepard. :wink:

Lynn aka 1stwahine :D

update: MWH Christmas Party

The best part of the night was when I heard my son telling Blaine that this was better than being in Iraq. To see the joy and happiness in these kids to have what little they can have compared to what the kids in Iraq have to go through.

To have my son standing next to me giving out slippahs to the kids of MHW and not in a War Zone was overwhelming for me many times tonight. When I went up to give my speech to the crowd, I broke down. At the end I simply said, No matter where you live, no matter how old you are...never give up making wishes and believing. Wishes do come TRUE!

1stwahine :wink:
1stwahine
Children's Choir

Return to The Prayer Tower