Jesus and Sports

You know. Whatever.

Jesus and Sports

Postby scrivener » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:09 am

Does God care about sports?

When I was in high school, I thought it was cool when football players scored touchdowns and did that little kneel-and-pray thing in the end-zone. I thought it was bold and reverent at the same time. Now, I think it kind of trivializes something that's too personal and too important to be bringing to something as stupid as a football game.

If when you win a game and you say it was "God's will," are you glorifying God by indicating that he cares about every aspect of your life, or are you turning God into a micromanager?
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby partyofsix » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 am

I don't know if God cares about sports as much as popular American culture might think that God cares about sports. Does God really care if players making hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars win a sporting event.

Perhaps God is a fan of amateur sports, say the Olympics of years past. God must have been cheering for the USA over the Soviets in the 1980 "miracle on ice" hockey match. If God is a sports fan, I would think that God would pull for the underdog, though is there divine intervention when a team with no shot at winning a game pulls off a big upset.

It's always funny to me, after a big game, several players on the winning team will thank God for the win. On the losing side you hear things like, "They just played better than we did," or, "We had some bad breaks," whatever, but you never hear, "We would have won, but God screwed us."
partyofsix
Nursery

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:26 pm

I haven't had the chance to see Facing the Giants but it's supposed to be worth a watch. The reviews are typically divided: Believers-thumbs up. Non-believers-thumbs down. The oft-quoted trailer piece from the coach: "If we win, we praise God. If we lose we praise God."
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Return to Whatever