Being Christ at Work

You know. Whatever.

Being Christ at Work

Postby scrivener » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:32 pm

How difficult is it to be Christ in your workplace, and how do you deal with such a huge responsibility?

Because I'm a teacher at a secular school, I have to be very careful about what I say, God-wise. However, because of the nature of the job, I find it not so difficult to be Christ on a day-to-day basis.

Still, there are parts of my job I don't think I do very well, and I'm sure you'd agree that the quality of the work we do is as much a witness as the morality of our words and deeds. I find this thought convicting, and wonder how many of you are motivated in this manner.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Thanks

Postby rick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:08 pm

Dear scrivener,

Let me apologize in advance for my poor writing skills. I'm sure many of my previous english instructors are rolling over in their graves when I begin to write.

Christ at work. A somewhat difficult topic for most of us. I guess if you work at a church it would not be a big deal. But sadly in the real world it is.

As you know, I work in a large fire department in the Sacramento area. The current area that I am assigned to is infested by drugs, gangs and pure evil. I have 3 or 4 strip clubs in my response area and about 6 motels surrounding them. And that's the good part. The bad part is not outside the station, rather what's in or is happening in the stations.

At one time Christ was making in roads through our department by a group called "The Flock". The Flock was comprised of firefighters that wanted to share their family matters, problems, prayer requests and to hold each other accountable for our own actions. (This is how I knew the captain was a Christian that you asked about.) The Flock started off strong and I think it was due to the film the Passion. Everyone was excited to get together, share our lives and pray. I sat with my captain at the station on several occasions to read the Bible and share with each other. Leadership and interest crumbled in a few months and The Flock fell apart. A revised Flock has been in the works for over a year now. Without commitment or leadership the Flock is lost.

Many non-believers knew of this group. I sat a table one night as they joked about the station that holds hands and prays before eating. I wondered why couldn't I be sitting with 3 fellow Christians praying over what God has given me, instead of sitting here. Then I spoke in defense of my fellow brothers. My explanation seemed to take some of the steam out of the joking until Jason snidely said, "Don't pray for me, God doesn't want me. Backup, because He's gonna hit me with lightning". My reply was jokingly, "I'll pray for the food and Jason if everybody wants me to". Every so often someone yells, "Jesus Christ" and I reply. "I see you're getting religious" or "you've found him, huh?".

My faith has caused some discomfort at work. When Larry found me reading my Bible, he went out of his way to sarcastically ask if a movie was offending me or if dropping the F bomb was going to bother me? Here was a man that thought I was going to be judgmental or easily offended. I explained that if something offends me I'll go do something else. I also told him I'm not here to change him, I'm just trying to change myself. Several days past and our friendship was back to normal.

Here's my take on Christ at work. We as Christians are placed on a pedestal. Whether we have placed ourselves or those around us have placed us. The non-believers are looking for any opportunity to knock us off. I try to keep myself off of the pedestal by letting those around me know I screw up at times. I'm not perfect and will never be, I'm just human.
rick
Nursery

Return to Whatever