Pastor's Appreciation Month

You know. Whatever.

Pastor's Appreciation Month

Postby lovetosing » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:33 pm

Okay, I think that October is Pastor's Appreciation Month. Does anyone here "celebrate" that by doing something special for their pastors? I used to give small gifts to the pastors that I was close to (2 of 15 pastors): flowers, take them to lunch, a CD or book, etc. I'd like to do, or help organize, something small for the senior pastor and children's pastor of our new church.

I thought about having the children sign a picture frame with colored sharpies, then putting in a group shot from sunday school? Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any ideas for the senior pastor? Do you think he'd appreciate a gift certificate for a nice restaurant plus a "certificate" for babysitting services for his children on that night?

I really want to acknowledge them because they are wonderful people!

Mahalo!
lovetosing
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:28 am

I appreciate the sentiment, but I think there are good ways and bad ways to put the sentiment into expression. There are people at my church who, during the Pass the Mic time, will take moments to honor the pastor in the middle of worship service. I find this wholly inappropriate, bordering on idolatry.

Maybe PartyOfSix has a better perspective, being a pastor himself...
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby lovetosing » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:33 am

scrivener wrote:I appreciate the sentiment, but I think there are good ways and bad ways to put the sentiment into expression.

I agree. I don't go over with the over the top expressions of gratitude I've seen & read. For example, I recently read a church's online bulletin regarding pastor's appreciation month. It made me very uncomfortable because it seemed to border on idolatry and elevated the pastors to a place pretty darn close to where only Jesus Christ should be esteemed.

scrivener wrote:There are people at my church who, during the Pass the Mic time, will take moments to honor the pastor in the middle of worship service. I find this wholly inappropriate, bordering on idolatry.

Again, I agree, but I don't feel that it's all inapproriate to give the pastor a card, saying "hey, great job...I appreciate what you do here." We do it for Boss' day, Secretary's day, etc. I'm more inclined to give a card to my pastor than I am to my boss :wink: Being a pastor is more than a 40 hr. week job, and it's not a something they can leave at the office. It encompasses their entire family. I'm grateful that he answered God's call.....nothing more than that. I see my pastor for who he is, and don't elevate him to something he's not. But I do understand where you're coming from. I've been up close where people have treated my former pastor(s) with a reverence (much more than just respect) reserved only for God. The only word I could use to describe their behavior is subservient. Scary.
lovetosing
Nursery

Return to Whatever