Happy Holidays or Merry CHristmas?

You know. Whatever.

Happy Holidays or Merry CHristmas?

Postby partyofsix » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:36 pm

Does it really matter? I didn’t think so, not at first. I recall hearing a story about the City of Boston’s “Holiday” tree, and the ire it set off among Christian conservatives. Apparently, this was just another of many assaults upon Christmas. Jerry Falwell, announced, “There is a concerted effort to steal Christmas.”

I thought, “This is stupid,” but didn’t divert a whole lot of attention to the Christmas wars. Then, in this morning’s Trib, there was a piece, an editorial on the issue of Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas, and there was a little blurb an ABC’s evening news.

So, does anyone care—Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?
partyofsix
Nursery

Well, see, it's only symantecs really

Postby rapturos » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:16 am

Evangelist Danny Lehman I think said it well the other day ... Happy Holidays actually means Happy Holy Days so I really think we've got them both ways .. plus a buddy of mine told me that when the christians started calling in and complaining to WalMart about the total emphasis on keeping Merry Christmas out and Happy Holidays in on all signs or advertisements WalMart turned around so fast that someone even put up a hand-lettered sign in the aisle with the "correction" prominently featured ... which goes to show money, err, profit, can be a powerful god indeed ...
rapturos
Youth Choir

Postby scrivener » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:46 pm

I think it is a silly thing for Christians to get up in arms about. Interestingly, I find a lot of the noise coming from people who don't really practice a faith and simply think of Christmas as more of a family tradition than anything else.

Christians stole Christmas from pagans (I mean that literally); it makes sense of them to lose a grip on its monopoly. I refuse to say "happy holidays," because I think it sounds kind of stupid, but I think this is ultimately how it will all work out. I will say "merry Christmas," while this person says something else, and this person says something else, and ini the long run, it will all be just fine. For me to pretend that this at this time of year I do not commemorate the birth of Christ is as ridiculous as it is for someone else to pretend that at this time of year he DOES commemorate it.

And the truth is, if anyone has taken Christ out of Christmas, it was Christians, a long, long time ago. Santa, trees, candy, gifts, and enormous amounts of food are something we Christians secularized the holiday with, whatever their origins.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Return to Whatever