Respecting Non Believers/Friends/Family

You know. Whatever.

Postby 1stwahine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:25 pm

Sometimes even for myself when I get a bit Kolohe, I find it hard to be a Christian. I know I "believe" yet I do and say the unthinkable. I use the excuse that I'm only "Human." Yes, I am a sinner.

What really gets me is finding myself in a situation be it family, friends, or business associates who are non believers of God. I respect their views but my faith in the Lord tells me differently in my heart. However, I do not want to scare them away like so many others do.

How do you deal with this kind of situation :?: :idea:

1stwahine
1stwahine
Children's Choir

Postby scrivener » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:51 pm

This is, of course, a common concern. I think we all think about this once in a while. I think there's no simple answer, but then the more I think about it, the more I think that all there are is simple answers.

You just gotta keep getting up and keep trying your best to represent Christ, wherever you are; yes, our fallibility is strong, but the Spirit is stronger. You can't blame yourself for people not coming around, because otherwise you'd have to take credit when they do. All you can do is humbly take up your cross, love others, and hope someone wonders what's up with you.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby Champuru » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:56 pm

What a great topic, 1stwahine, and such a relevant one.

I know what you mean. We all have many well-meaning brothers and sisters in the Lord who are so overzealous that they totally freak out non-believers and send them running in the other direction!

Here's how I try to live my life and while I don't know if it's the "right" way, I am doing the best that I can - and like you - I'm only human.

No matter the situation, I try to be a good witness. In other words, I try to live in a way that would not make me "shame" if Jesus were standing beside me in the flesh. I don't always succeed, but I do try.

In the presence of non-believers, I do not hide my faith, but I don't shove it in their face either. If there is an opportunity to share my faith, I will -- but I don't tell everyone who doesn't share my beliefs that they're going straight to hell.

I try to be a loving friend who is willing to help. I would hope that by being a friend to my non-believing friends/family, that they will come to see Christ's love for them through me.

If they're hurting, offer them a solution. I tell them how God helped me and invite them to join me at church.

To sum it up in 2 words: Be loving. :D
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Respecting Non-Believers Friends/Family

Postby 1stwahine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:38 pm

Wow! Praise Jesus! Mahalo for your advices. When I read your responses, "chicken skin"...HOLY SPIRIT! I will be more humble, flexible, LOVING...and try my best to represent Christ the best I can.

This Forum is the BEST thing that has happened to me in a long time...after Antonio's recovery.

Now, to find a Church to worship and fellowship in.

I guess I won't be Auntie Pupule for long anymore. :lol:

1stwahine
1stwahine
Children's Choir

Postby kaholo4Him » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:39 pm

...ditto the above replies... being real, flaws & all --- most of my coworkers, friends & family know i'm a christian. i used to try to be the strong (got-it-all-together), super-cheerful, bible thumper --- but i think it irritated people (or at least distanced myself from others) more than anything else... so yah, now they see me through my ups & downs (though still having joy & peace for the most part) & it's actually opened doors for me to be able to minister to others when they're going through stuff. i am learning more how to respect non-believers (it seems so long ago since i've been one myself, i forget what it's like on the other side sometimes), especially those with super different lifestyles from mine. i guess it goes without saying, but it helps to PRAY (for their salvation) and just for your conversations & stuff - that God would give you His heart for them, His eyes to see them the way He sees them, that He would give you words to say, opportunities to share, discernment for what's going on (roots of problems, etc.)...
*romans 15:13*
kaholo4Him
Nursery

Return to Whatever