Bible Translations

Scripture and study.

Bible Translations

Postby scrivener » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:39 am

I know most people have more than one translation handy, but what's your go-to version? For most of high school, I used the Good News Bible (TEV), but when I got to college, a professor introduced me to (I know you've never heard of this one) the New Jerusalem translation, whic really, really rocks and is still my favorite. That one was huge, though, so for a carrying-around Bible, I finally picked up an NIV shortly before graduation from college, which is mostly what I used for years until last year, when I bought my first King James Version, which is my new current go-to.

I'd have to say that NIV is my least favorite -- looking at side-by-side texts, I find the NIV least satisfying, and it seems the paraphrasers are inujecting too much of their personal slant on some scriptures to read as they think they mean, rather than what is most likely true. Just my opinion. What's yours?
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby Foxen » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:27 pm

I'm almost strictly New American Standard...I dunno if they still make those though. Hehe. I think the copyright was expiring or something so I picked up like three or four of the same Bible to have a "lifetime" supply.

Time to time I use a parrallel Greek, NAS, NIV bible, and my NKJ Open Bible (I prefer the Open study Bible for analysis and stuff).
Foxen
Nursery

Postby 1stwahine » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:40 pm

I got Woman's Bible, Fancy Bibles but I always go back to the New King James Version Bible. It's been with me for the longest time....

1stwahine :wink:
1stwahine
Children's Choir

Postby kaholo4Him » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:47 pm

i usually carry around my japanese bible - shin kaiyaku (equiv. of NIV?). i've got thai and (access to) german & chinese ones too, but haven't really done much with them, save for writing out quotes. it's interesting how you can get a different idea of what the scripture says from different language translations. i want to learn hebrew & greek, but haven't made the time yet... as for english translations, i try to look at several versions especially when studying - usually look @ niv, nlt, nasb, the message, & nkjv on occasion). it's lame, i know, but since my niv is the most compact of all the ones i have, it's usually the one i carry around...
*romans 15:13*
kaholo4Him
Nursery

Postby kaholo4Him » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:50 pm

...i was house-sitting at my aunt's house & they had a well-worn copy of the new jerusalem bible... first time i'd seen it...
*romans 15:13*
kaholo4Him
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:37 am

kaholo4Him wrote:...i was house-sitting at my aunt's house & they had a well-worn copy of the new jerusalem bible... first time i'd seen it...

What did you think of it?
That's so cool...I thought I was the only person I knew who'd seen one!
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby partyofsix » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:04 pm

I do like the New Jerusalem Bible--perhaps my second favorite, but my go to translation is the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV).

While I am not a fan of the NIV, I think it might be a stretch to call it a paraphrase. The Living Bible is an honest to goodness paraphrase--the paraphraser translates from the English into English. If I remember correctly, the Living Bible was someone's quest to make the KJV more readable. The NIV, while it has its own bent (conservative evangelical), it is an actual translation.
partyofsix
Nursery

The King James: old-fashioned but there when you need it

Postby rapturos » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:28 am

My go-to is the King James ... more because it has more blood spilled over its pages than arguably any other version ... I recall John McArthur recounting where he saw a veteran copy preserved by a saint in Europe which he wept over ... because it had been dipped in the owners' blood just after his execution for his faith ... apparently that is how they did it in those days ...
rapturos
Youth Choir

Postby Pua'i » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:11 pm

I never “go-to” just one, because its not the translation that drives me, but as a purveyor of thematic bibles, I look for a variety of annotations. The reasons I grab for this or that:
-Oxford (NRSV). It’s Oxford. The scholarship is more detailed than any other study bible I have ever seen.
-Full Life (KJV) It is great for the poetry of King James (as well as the occasional scratching of the head tryin’ to decipher) and for the pentacostal/charismatic lens, as the notes were written by an Assembly of God pastor. Because I have people in my orbit whose beliefs are in line with this bible, it helps me understand and communicate with them better.
-Woman of Faith (NIV) women’s bibles normally turn me more off than on because I am not very in touch with my “Precious Moments” side, but this one does a good job highlighting women of the bible. Still, it could be more substantial.

And my two favorite thematic bibles, which both happen to be NIV (not that this translation matters one way or another): Leadership Bible and Faith in Action Bible. The former is incredible in developing leadership. The latter reminds us that “faith without works is dead” and to serve the least among us is to serve Jesus. Very powerful, motivating bibles to me.
Pua'i
Nursery

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Very thoughtful thread! Originally I really liked the NIV. But lately, especially after taking a 12-week Bible study course, I find myself using the NASB more. According to my Pastor, it's a better study Bible than the NIV. 8)
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Re: Bible Translations

Postby Champuru » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Has anyone heard of the New English Translation, called the NET Bible or the NeXt Bible: http://net.bible.org/bible.php

What's your take on this translation? Heard anything about it? Good, bad, or otherwise?

So many translations, so confusing!
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Return to In the Word