God's iPhone?

Scripture and study.

God's iPhone?

Postby Champuru » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:09 pm

While browsing the web for Christian podcasts, I stumbled upon this: http://www.godsiphone.com/

It's a Bible formatted for reading on your iPhone or iPod Touch. However, it is the "God's Word" translation (GWT). Again, another translation that I am unfamiliar with.

It seems like a great resource for reading on the go, but just wondering about GWT version. Any thoughts?
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Re: God's iPhone?

Postby scrivener » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Good question. There's a wikipedia article about it. The section called "translation theory" is especially interesting. Looks like this is a paraphrase and not a literal translation. This opens up the door for possible mis-translation, of course, because the translators are not writing down exactly what a passage SAYS but what it MEANS.

There's nothing wrong with that all by itself, because a literal translation can be a problem, too. On another forum, Pua`i took someone's phrase, "With warm love from my heart to you all," and said that a literal translation of those words in Hawaiian wouldn't make any sense. She then offered a Hawaiian phrase that echoed the sentiment, but literally meant something like, "Truly I say with my guts full of Aloha."

So a literal translation can be tricky! I mean, if there were a verse in the bible that said, "Truly I say with my guts full of aloha," you'd crack up, right?

Anyway, if you get it, let us know how it works out! It doesn't look to me like there's any kind of doctrinal problem, but you might check out some of those reference links at the bottom of the Wiki article.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Return to In the Word