A Christmas Carol

Movies and TV

A Christmas Carol

Postby rapturos » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:15 pm

Okay, it's a little late in the season but as I write this, the website is still raining down snowflakes in its Christmas motif so I'll chance em' ...

If anyone has not seen the movie version of Charles Dickens' book "A Christmas Carol", with Alastair Sim playing Mr. Scrooge, you owe it to yourself to check it out. A friend of mine likes it so much he makes it a point to bring it out every Christmas and watch it. He says the portrayal of Scrooge's repentance is so marvelously done it never fails to renew the spirit of evangelism in him.

I found that even though the "special effects" are so plainly done compared to today's marvels, the impact of Scrooge's meeting with each spirit of Christmas is in no way diminished, in fact, perhaps made better since the storyline is not distracted from by any unneeded "eye candy".

Also, the very explicit references to Christ have not been removed or played down in the dialogue of the spirit of Christmas present and of Tiny Tim and the family of Bob Cratchit. And that's a marvel in itself. Enjoy!
rapturos
Youth Choir

Postby Champuru » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:59 pm

I haven't seen this film. Perhaps it's one that I'll need to pick up at Blockbuster sometime.

To be honest, I'm so "deprived" that I haven't even seen the film "Miracle on 34th Street". (I have to admit that I had to Google this to get the "34th" part correct.) Any spiritual themes in this particular classic?
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Return to TV and Movies