Topical vs. Verse-by-Verse

Our houses of worship.

Topical vs. Verse-by-Verse

Postby Champuru » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:03 pm

My church does a lot of topical studies of the Bible, but I somewhat prefer the verse-by-verse studies that are the style of many Calvary Chapel pastors. I tend to think that topical studies can easily take scriptures out of context to support the opinion of the speaker. (Not that I'm saying this is happening in my church at all.)

Perhaps topical sermons are best done when a passage of scripture is taken and a life lesson gleaned from it, rather than choosing verses here and there to support points that a speaker has arbitrarily outlined.

What's your take on this issue? What style does your church use for teaching?
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Re: Topical vs. Verse-by-Verse

Postby Champuru » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:05 pm

I thought this sounded familiar as I was typing and realized we DID discuss this in another section of this board a couple of years ago.

I always found this topic intriguing and I guess it was on my mind again.

Scrivener: Please feel free to delete this thread as it is a duplicate! My apologies.
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Re: Topical vs. Verse-by-Verse

Postby Pua'i » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 am

What my heart says: you have to obey your intuition on the matter-it is driven by your relationship with Christ. If verse-by-verse studies is where Jesus meets and greets you, follow that path on your walk with him. For those whom topical/thematic discussion leads to spiritual revelation, there too will good fruit be found. God is so good that he allows us to access him, even though we are ultimately so frail, mortal, fragile, inept in our understanding.

From Aramaic to Hebrew to Greek to Latin to Olde English to modern, one thing is clear: if a translation points to Jesus, another soul is gonna get saved!
2 Corinthians 12:9 (King James Version)
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Pua'i
Nursery

Return to Church Chat