Paul Davis' "Do Right"

Music.

Paul Davis' "Do Right"

Postby surfingfarmboy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:27 am

I remember years ago a song that got heavy airplay about 1980. It was a song by Paul Davis, and for all I know, it may be titled "Do Right". I never really listened to it during its heyday of radio playtime. I mean I "heard" it, but I never really "listened" to it or tried to deceipher the point Davis was attempting to make in his song.

I happened to hear it just recently on a web-cast of music that Yahoo was broadcasting on "My Radio Station". I don't think I had heard the song in at least 20 years since it had been played. This time, for whatever reason, I happened to really listen to the words to this song. This time, its meaning forcefully hit me like a ton a bricks.

I'm not sure if the song "Do Right" is about what I'm thinking it is, but I suspect it is. I think it is about trusting in Jesus to help guide you in your life. It is a song with a powerful message. I don't have the lyrics for it, but Davis makes reference to him "giving his life for me" to "set all of my spirts free"....he "makes all his dreams come true"..and we "just can't keep on living like were living" by "pushing it to the limit".

The song has obvious Christian implications throughout the song. At least they can be construed as Christian.

It seems funny that all the many times that I had heard the song, its message was flying right over my head. And that 20 years later, I'm finally understanding what he was trying to tell me in the song.

My questions: Is/was Paul Davis known as a musical artist whose songs contained primarily Christian themes or, to anyone's knowledge, was "Do Right" just one song, out of many he sang, that happened to have a Christian theme.

And: I'd love to learn of other popular mainstream songs that have hit the airwaves that have contained reference to Jesus or Christain values, that for whatever reason, the general public didn't recognize it as a song containing a deeper message and simply listened to it at "face" value.
surfingfarmboy
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:34 pm

Here are the lyrics:

"Do Right"
Paul Davis

I know that he gave his life for me
Set all our spirits free
So I wanna do right wanna do right
All of my life
I never dreamed I could be holding you
Well he's making my dreams come true
So I wanna do right, wanna do right
I wanna do right, oh

Chorus:

You've got to do right
Yes, you've got to do right
And he'll be your guiding light
But you've got to do right
And he'll be your guiding light

Listen to me people!

I used to say
Love was just game we play
Now I see it in a different way
So I wanna do right
I've got to do right
I never knew I could be holding you
Well he's making my dreams come true
So I wanna do right, wanna do right
I wanna do right

(Chorus)

Listen to me people!

Well we just can't keep on livin' like we're livin'
We just can't keep on (livin' like we're livin')
Just can't keep on pushing to the limit
We just can't (can't keep on )
Just can't keep on livin' like we're livin'
We just can't keep on (livin' like we're livin')
We just can't (can't keep on )
(Just can't keep on) Just can't keep on
(Just can't keep on) Living like we're living
(Just can't keep on) No we just can't!

Just can't keep on livin' like we're livin'
We just can't keep on
We just can't
Don't you know we've got to do right
Oh-oh (do right), don't you know (do right)
And he'll be your guiding light, oooh

Yes, I'd say the words are undoubtedly at least spiritual, and possibly Christian. I'd forgotten all about Paul Davis until I saw this post, but he has written some songs I totally love, including "65 Love Affair," "I Go Crazy," and "Cool Night." Okay, maybe "Cool Night" isn't one of my favorites, but those other two definitely are.

I just purchased the song at iTunes and am really digging it. It's been a long, long time since I've heard it, and I never realized the nature of the content, either.

As for other mainstream successes with spiritual themes, there are tons, beginning with "You Light Up My Life," by Debbie Boone, that for a long time had the longest stay at #1 on the pop charts.

However, artists like Debbie Boone and Stryper were up-front about their Christianity. I wonder how many more artists put out songs like this after not having been so open.

Mr. Mister's "Kyrie" comes to mind. Any others?
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Return to Joyful Noise