Bands in Hawaii

Music.

Bands in Hawaii

Postby scrivener » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:45 am

I'm interested in compiling a list of performing or recording bands in Hawaii. Do you know the local bands, what their church affiliations are, and what their contact information is, including websites? I used to be really up on who was playing where, but I've been out of the loop for several years.

Anyone?
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby kaholo4Him » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:30 pm

ooh, i could've rattled off a whole list 5 years or so ago. the old school guys were theocracy a.d., ramah's tears (ralph & co. were supposedly working on a c.d.), cornerstone (japanese/eng. praise music), Randy & Gay Hongo (the original local recording artists, i think...). i loved the ska era (JahSka, Engine#9...Five Iron Frenzy had some local ties)... there used to be a bunch of bands that played at the Xfactory in kalihi (punk/emo/rock like Pennylane (which disbanded) and Olivia). more recently, there's been Harrison and 7Simple Pieces... if you asked some of the mgmc youth, they'd probably be able to give you the latest scoops. sorry i don't have more specific (& updated) info...
*romans 15:13*
kaholo4Him
Nursery

Postby Foxen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:24 am

Harrison is having their CD release party sometime soon.

Randall from Harrison was of the former Apartment 3, and was he Theocracy AD?
Foxen
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:19 pm

I know Randall Ajimine -- we went to high school together, and no, he wasn't from Theocracy, but yes, he was in Apartment 3. Harrison, you say? Is that based at any one church, or is it people from all over?
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby scrivener » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:33 pm

Okay, I just looked it up. The release party is this Saturday the 24th at Detox on Beretania & Alakea. The website is here.

We got one. A list of one. Surely, there are others?
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby Foxen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:27 pm

The Detox thing isn't the release party, it's just another gig. Detox was courting them for the CD release, but they had tenatively set it for the Hard Rock. Due to complications they moved it back later...probably to November or so. The CDs should be shipping sooner than later...I forgot what the exact complications were.

Harrison is not based out of any one particular church. All four members attend difference churches around the island, including New Hope Leeward (someone here went there right?). Their music isn't "Christianese" per se...they are, Ambient Rock, or something like that (they made their own category of music to describe their style).

I told Randall about this site, so he might be sniffing around sooner than later.

Fox
Foxen
Nursery

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:26 pm

Okay, here's some shameless self-promotion of our Palisades Baptist Church Worship Team... :roll: We're not the best but we try hard. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OLGWFI8szA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SixZTskyJo

YouTube's been acting up lately - real slow. Maybe it's reached its capacity in hosting. <--Edited to say that it was probably my cable modem. I cycled the power and now the streaming works fine.

Another shameless plug for Leon and Malia. They recorded an album last holiday season called "Hawaii Kids Praise" that featured my wife's kiddie choir, Keiki Kani.

http://www.hawaiikids.net/cgi-bin/str/commerce.cgi?product=Leon_and_Malia_Products&pid=13

http://www.keikikani.com/

For the young and young at heart, Olivia, while not strictly a Praise band is still out there playing their brand of surf/ska/alt with a splash of Jesus thrown in:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2071782
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Postby zoomit » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Some younger aged bands would be:

Josiah 180
ACES
Pennylane
One Step life

theres a couple more that i can't remember right now... they can all be found on myspace.
zoomit
Nursery

Return to Joyful Noise