Music resources

Music.

Music resources

Postby partyofsix » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:37 pm

Does anyone know any good worship music resources?

My church has a "blended" type of service, with a mix of music (hymns and "praise and worship" songs). We do not have a worship band, just a pianist with guitar every once in a while. Actually we haven't had a guitar in a while.

I was going through our music, and noticed that many of our praise choruses are over twenty years old, and was wondering what newer songs are available. I recently purchased a new songbook, but many of the songs are dated, and out of 250 songs, there's opnly about thirty that I like.
partyofsix
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:02 pm

There's a reason your praise choruses are all that old. Most of the stuff done in the last fifteen years sucks. And when I say most, I don't mean 51% -- I mean 95%.

But it's too late. We've gone down a road I hate, but you can do the best you can with it. I'd say the accompaniment of just a piano or just a piano and guitar are a HUGE plus (when you say guitar, do you mean you? :) ).

There are subscription services, where you get a cd every month or two, and a lot of those are going to suck, but you may find a few keepers every few months. It might be pretty affordable. I'll look around.

Another thing to do -- and you probably can't because you're a pastor -- is see what other churches are playing.

Another idea is to buy some of those rock-and-roll-type worship CDs by bands like Delirious? or that other band I can't think of. At least if you don't love the songs, the music is pretty entertaining.

There are music camps, I know you're aware. You could send someone from your church to one every year and he or she will come back with some new songs.

Most of which will suck.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Please explain

Postby leah. » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:27 am

[quote="scrivener"]There's a reason your praise choruses are all that old. Most of the stuff done in the last fifteen years sucks. And when I say most, I don't mean 51% -- I mean 95%.

What do you dislike about 95% of the music done over the past 15 years?
Got time to breathe, got time for music.
- Briscoe Darling on the Andy Griffith Show
leah.
Nursery

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:45 pm

Hmmmm.... :| Whenever I hear the song "Heart of Worship" I think to what our Worship Team Leader says: We need to lead everyone from age 2 to 92 in worship, so we have to keep the "rocking out" to a minimum.

And yet this happened recently! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r80icMFWykI
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Postby leah. » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:11 am

i enjoyed watching and listening to some of the videos of PBC, Mark.
thanks for sharing them. i like the potfaith, instead of luck name!

i was asking scrivener about the 95% of the music in reply to his previous post. where are you?
Got time to breathe, got time for music.
- Briscoe Darling on the Andy Griffith Show
leah.
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:04 am

Here's why 95% of praise music in the last 15 years sucks.

1. The melodies are, for the most part, pretty indiscernable from each other. I believe this is partly done because one goal of a praise song is to get people to pick up the songs quickly, but see #2.
  2. The rise of the multi-piece praise band, complete with six backup singers and five acoustic guitars, has necessitated the need for a lead singer. The lead singer, who is usually called the "worship leader," treats the band as his or her backing band, and uses the congregation as his or her backup singers. This is completely wrong, and it's why it's almost necessary for those six backup vocalists on microphones: The congregation, unable to follow the leader because he or she won't stick to the melody or won't sing in a manner that's easy to follow, needs to follow SOMEONE.
  3. This new arrangment, where the congregation is basically singing backup vocals, allows songwriters to write songs with ridiculous verses: wordy, complicated, impossible to sing along with. Think of Rich Mullins's "Awesome God." You know where I'm going with this. That song was never meant for congregational singing, but people liked it so much that they turned the chorus into a praise song. That worked okay ('though I hated it sung that way). Now, there are a ton of songs that work the same way: The verses are really impossible for people to pick up quickly, so the congregation basically sings the chorus, or after a million repetitions, finally gets the melody in the verses, which allows the worship leader to ad-lip "as the spirit leads." That's a lead singer, not a worship leader.
  4. Praise bands are too loud. I like loud music. I love loud music. I've played in loud praise bands and I've had the time of my life. However, I've also been in the congregation and I couldn't believe what a miserable experience it was. Completely gone was the entire concept of congregational singing. Not only could I not hear the voice of the people around me, I could barely hear my own. There was definitely praise and worship going on, but there wasn't anything corporate about it. Yes, the BAND is experiencing corporate worship, because the BAND can hear itself and the other instruments and singers. One of the best things about singing in church used to be hearing always-off-key Andrea a few pews behind you, or always-sings-the-bass-parts-Mr.-Takahashi in the back row. Now it's just me and the band, and possibly the spirit. That's fine, but I can do that in my car with a Sonic Flood CD. The whole point of worshipping together is WORSHIPPING TOGETHER.

I've got more, but I'd love to hear what you think of just this part!
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:10 pm

I guess that pseudo-reggae version of Awesome God complete with guitar solo is out of the question then? Hehe - j/k. OK, I hear you. A couple 3 weeks ago our Pastor started to get after us to keep the volume (and I think "antics") down. It was strange because we had made a concerted effort to tone down after our last PotFaith which was really loud and rocking. I may be mistaken but he may have also been trying to bring us "down to earth". By antics, I mean little body language things like nodding the head on a downbeat. Personally Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) is part of what brought me into church and finally to Jesus, so sorry but I do like most of new P&W music. Yes, much of CCM (and I agree on this point) does not work as P&W, especially for an "all ages" service like at our church. But I think there is a happy median. BTW, there is an author of a website that completely rejects CCM because of its "sensuality". Here's part of it that "exposes" Michael W. Smith:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/CCM/michael_smith.htm
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Return to Joyful Noise