Fox's Summer 2005 Reading List: McLaren, Dan Brown etc. etc.

What are you reading?

Fox's Summer 2005 Reading List: McLaren, Dan Brown etc. etc.

Postby Foxen » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:49 am

Recently I finished Brian McLaren's somewhat contraversial series. He started with A New Kind of Christian exploring one possible take on the Post-Modern Era and raising questions and frustrations many Christians (including pastors) are going through. He then takes us on a journey exploring another way of sharing one's faith through The Story We Find Ourselves In all the while exploring an alternative view to the evolution question. He completes the trilogy with The Last Word and the Word After That in what I'd consider a very interesting exploration of views on Modern Christianity and the origins of hell.

I'll reserve my comments for now.

I also did a quick run-thru of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code...not quite Christian books, but it was what I consider a healthy read through fiction touched with enough non-fiction that challenges and shakes the foundation of my faith. It was a good challenge and I am quite refreshed after the read. The Dan Brown books challenge a number of the tenets of Christianity and poiniently and brutally honestly present some harsh realities of the church. Although I didn't take everything Brown presented as truth (he so kindly highlights what is based on actual research in the beginning of each book). His writing is acceptable...but not the most captivating narratives that I've read. I preferred Angels and Demons over Da Vinci Code, perhaps more so that there seemed to be more reality and history rooted in Angels and Demons and after the read, I really had a desire (and still do!) to visit Rome and the various churches depicted in the book.

Currently, I'm reviewing Bill Donahue's Willow Creeks Guide to Leading Life-Changing Small Groups. I'm not particularly a big fan of mega-churches, however, in my search for an excellent small group book that is easy to read and actually shares the same values and beliefs I have towards small groups, this book was the best thing I found out there (albeit I only looked at seven or eight books). I am looking for small group training book(s) to train up a young group of youth disciplers. Any suggestions?

Besides that...I recently picked up several woodworking magazines. I am now lusting after a lathe...although the realities of actually purchasing one is mere fantasy. Ah well, one can dream.

Fox
Foxen
Nursery

Postby GypsyLika » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:41 am

I liked Angels&Demons better then Da Vinci Code also. I find the books entertaining and it made me want to go to the Vatican, especially the Library. Like they would let me in. :lol:

~Lika 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Lika 8)
*NA KE AKUA E MALAMA MAU*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GypsyLika
Nursery

Postby Foxen » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:48 pm

GypsyLika wrote:I liked Angels&Demons better then Da Vinci Code also. I find the books entertaining and it made me want to go to the Vatican, especially the Library. Like they would let me in. :lol:

Hehe, I wanted to visit the Necropolis after the read...I probably would be scared outta my wits but that would be a site to behold. The Library would be great too...but it kinda felt stuffy and I felt Rob's panic attack when he ran out of air.

I really enjoyed Brown's mix of history and reality with his storytelling.
Foxen
Nursery

Return to The OTHER Books