What do you think about the "Purpose Driven Life"?

What are you reading?

What do you think about the "Purpose Driven Life"?

Postby Champuru » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:36 pm

Admittedly, the craze has probably come and gone for the most part, about "The Purpose Driven Life," but my pastor mentions it in sermons every now and then. I haven't read the book myself, although it is sitting on my bookshelf. I know there are folks on both sides of the fence when it comes to this topic. I'd like to know where you stand.

I subscribe to the Purpose Driven Life devotional and haven't read anything scripturally unsound yet, but then again, I'm no Bible scholar.

In about a week, I'm going to have almost two weeks of downtime when I'll be able to do more than my fair share of reading, so I was going to try and get to some of those books collecting dust on my bookshelf and am wondering if I should pick this one up.
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Re: What do you think about the "Purpose Driven Life"?

Postby scrivener » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Some very good friends and I read it, chapter by chapter, as a Bible study a few years ago, at the height of the craze. It generated lots and lots of good discussion, but on the whole, I thought the book kinda sucked. No, I didn't find anything especially unsound, doctrinally or spiritually, but a few of his conclusions didn't ring true for me. I wish I had a few examples handy. Perhaps I'll dig up my copy and check my notes.

I thought the reading and discussion were excellent uses of my time, though, so never did I think reading it was a waste. I just dislike the herd mentality of the church; it's the mentality that leads to megachurches such as Warren's in the first place, and I have a general distate for that kind of thing.

But if you do read it, please feel free to post your thoughts!
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby rapturos » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:56 pm

Well, I'm (gleefully) proud to report that my friend and I were persecuted because of the Purpose Driven movement. I was going to a bible study at a friend's church because he is a very precious man who had been radically saved out of some pretty bad stuff and I just really felt led to support him in any way I could. He just had a really big heart after he got saved. He would take hurting people off the street and literally hose them down at his house and try to preach Jesus to them, sometimes successfully and sometimes not. Either way, they left knowing that someone was trying to love on them big time. So we were into this small men's group at his church and it was going pretty good. We went on some "field trips" together like going up to the University of Hawaii and hearing a debate between one of the atheist professors and a well known christian apologist. Another time we went up to the ATS Salvation Army rehab facility on Pali Highway to support one of the group members as he got to give his testimony there. So this went on for more than a year getting on two years and the group did get into some really animated discussions about life, theology, and witnessing for Christ. We didn't agree on everything but everyone was fully engaged if you know what I mean. No one was leaning back in their chairs yawning that's for sure. There were some folks who would sit in on the group once in a while and that was fine. No pressure to be there or anything. But there was just a little push back because I tended to emphasize the Bible as the cure for everything and some (the visitors especially) felt that was a bit rigid. But the thing was, people in the group were growing. They were getting excited about the things of God. So no really super big surprise when finally an associate pastor dropped in and announced that my friend and I were being asked to leave the group. My friend had recently moved to a part of the island quite far away from this church and so had joined another church close to his house even though he had been a longtime member of this group's church. The drive was just going to be too long for him from here on out. I knew I needed to be wise enough not to get resentful about being asked to leave and to just see that God had opened doors for us there and now He was closing them. But I did bother to ask the associate pastor very congenially why we were being asked to leave. After all, I did mention that at least one member of the group had got saved on one of our outreaches to a local prison, people were enthusiastic about what was going on in the group, and the members were in fact growing in their faith. All this the associate pastor commended us for and said he had no problem with any of that. He just had to let me know that their church was going to be doing the Rick Warren "Forty Days of Purpose" program and that this was not going to be just another announcement of something being made available but they were going to be committing to it fully as a church. And for this reason, because of my home church's strong emphasis on doctrine and outspoken stands on doctrinal issues we might become a hinderance to this project and so had to be removed as a possible obstacle. Wow! Hallelujah! I can see if we had been guilty of false doctrine, a critical spirit, or trying to sell something to the group. But thank God for His goodness that it wasn't any of that. There was another thing that God did that was very precious. My friend wasn't really listening when the announcement was made to us and to this very day he doesn't realize that we had been asked to leave. I was able to convince him that it was just the right time to transition over to a home fellowship closer to his house. So what's the moral of the story? I don't really know. I'm not going to try to hold forth on how this reveals the backslidden nature of the modern church or any deep theological flaws in Rick Warren's programs. But this one thing I think God was trying to show me. Anytime you start thinking that having a christian president is going to save you, you're way wrong. Anytime you think that any movement, program, methodology, philosophy, or charismatic pastor is going to save you, you're wrong already. There was only one who came to seek and to save that which was lost. Only one who was, and is, qualified to save. Best to stick to our knitting, crew. Jesus said if you build your house on anything but the Solid Rock, you're building on sand. And when the storm comes, and by the way, according to the Bible, a big storm is in fact coming our way, the house that was built on sand is going to fall and it's going to fall with a mighty crash. Nope, if things get really ugly, I don't want to be looking to Rick Warren for help. The Bible says he's got feet of clay and so do I. Hard to swim out of a storm surge by yourself when you've got big heavy feet like that. No, I'm looking for someone who can walk on water to pull me out of there. Maranatha, even so, come Lord Jesus.
rapturos
Youth Choir

Postby Champuru » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:58 pm

rapturos: That's a heavy story! Imagine, being asked to leave a Bible study because you were emphasizing the Bible too much, of all things!

As for me, I believe the Bible should be our foundation ~ and that we should not add or subtract from it. Isn't that how cults and false doctrines arise? You can't go wrong when you do a verse-by-verse study of the scriptures. Sometimes, though, it's nice to see how the scriptures relate to our lives.

So, that being said, do you think The Purpose Driven Life deviates from the scriptures? Can it be used to complement our reading of the Bible? (Of course, it should not take the place of it.)
Donna [at] Champuru.net
Champuru
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:13 am

Okay, now I really AM going to dig up my copy of it and review my thoughts. I don't remember having any serious doctrinal problems with the text itself, only disagreements with some of the conclusions Warren drew from some of the scriptures.

Rapturos, what a great story. Have you read the book, by the way? :)
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby rapturos » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:42 pm

Well, you know, I did the read the book but it kind of went right through me. Nothing really seemed to stick. Pastor Mike Macintosh of Calvary Chapel San Diego said he thought we should have a Spirit-led life rather than be driven by anything. I was just listening to Dave Hunt on KLHT Radio today and he said that he truly applauds Rick Warren's humanitarian outreaches to the poor and needy worldwide. Dave's only caution was that Pastor Warren is picking up a lot of fellow travelers of dubious non-christian orientation because they, too want to make the world a better place (however they define that). Dave's concern is that as so many evangelical leaders find common ground with non-christian faiths in the area that they can agree on, namely wide-reaching humanitarian projects, they are beginning to lose sight of the main "purpose" of the church of Jesus Christ. That is, "go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15). Jesus said "For ye have the poor always with you;". Jesus could have created enough loaves and fishes out of thin air to get rid of world hunger in a moment. However, He said He came to earth for a different purpose. The Bible tells us that "the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost". I try to remind folks when we go out on homeless ministry in the parks not to just pass out the food and sit back all warm and happy, basking in the thought that we got to "make a difference". Because if we don't keep the main the main thing, that is to "preach the gospel to every creature", we risk sending people to hell all warm and well fed. You imagine what some person would think of us if he or she took that blanket, or tent, or a great home-cooked meal from us and then died that night or the next day without salvation because we were too busy congratulating ourselves on a job well done, to share the gospel with them. And really, what it comes down to is, passing out food, and hygiene kits, and great home-cooked meals is not all that hard. That is, compared to sharing the true gospel straight up. No one is going to be offended by receiving things that make their earthly lives more liveable. I know I'm not. But try sharing about how there is a hell, and you could go there because the Bible says that, truth be told, you have a higher opinion of yourself than what God says you ought to have. Well, the apostle took his shot in the Book of Acts and this is what happened to him. "so it was that he was borne of the soldiers for the violence of the people. For the multitude of the people followed after, crying Away with him" (Acts 21: 35-36). Now wait a minute, isn't this the same Paul who gets to be known as the apostle of grace? In fact, isn't this the guy who wrote 1st Corinthians 13, the love chapter? Well, I also hear tell that the "Prince of Preachers", Charles Haddon Spurgeon got saved after seeing an elderly evangelist being beaten in the streets of London by an angry mob and inquiring what this man's offense was to have been treated so visciously. Pattern forming here methinks. Inoffensive gospel, feels good, but can't save. The true gospel, gets you killed. Isn't that how Jesus got killed? Telling people what they needed to hear rather than what they wanted to hear? Here's a true story. A friend of mine who used to go to Calvary Chapel but has since moved to the mainland told me that she had finally "seen the light" about how to share the gospel. That you had to have right social graces to be that inviting christian presence so people will want to accept Christ into their lives when they see how friendly and warm you are. So I asked her, well what about the apostle Paul, he almost got himself killed preaching the gospel in the Book of Acts. She said, well, that's why God had to let him be killed and be taken out of the way since he was offending so many people with his harsh approach and driving them away from Christ. So I asked her, well, if Paul was no good at sharing in the right way, what about Jesus? She said, oh, he was the worst, he offended everybody! So I asked, well, if Paul and Jesus were no good, who did she know who was an example of how to do it right? She said, my pastor. Now this pastor is the leader of one of the largest, fastest-growing churches just about anywhere. You would know his name in an instant. (BTW, it's not a Calvary Chapel). Folks, I think Dave Hunt is right. We're heading down the road towards unrestrained humanism in the church and personally, I believe it will be the last battle we will fight before Jesus comes again. Pastor J.D. Farag of Calvary Çhapel Kaneohe put it this way. You notice how in the Book of Revelation the church of Laodicea's name means "ruled by the people", that is, the "lao" in Laodicea refers to the laity, or the people in the church. Well, I guess the hamburger people had it right, "you can have it your way". But what did Jesus say about the Laodiceans? "Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20). Whew! We used to always use that scripture in evangelism ('cause we heard Greg Laurie using it in his crusades). But actually, it was Jesus outside, trying to get into His own church! Whoa! Maranatha, even so come Lord Jesus.
rapturos
Youth Choir

Return to The OTHER Books