bible study books most compatible with your beliefs

What are you reading?

bible study books most compatible with your beliefs

Postby Pua'i » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:21 pm

I enjoy soaking up those bestsellers in which the authors explore topically some area of the bible, yet I hardly ever agree with any author! I might find is a sentence/paragraph or two that deeply resonates, but I've yet to run into a whole chapter, never mind book, with which I am in full spiritual agreement. The closest I have come are certain titles by Larry Burkett.

(Even so, I won't likely give up heading to that shelf at my local bookstore.)

Which Christ-centered books are most compatible with your beliefs?

aloha, Pua'i
2 Corinthians 12:9 (King James Version)
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Pua'i
Nursery

Re: bible study books most compatible with your beliefs

Postby Pua'i » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 pm

nobody has any book titles to suggest? :shock:
2 Corinthians 12:9 (King James Version)
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Pua'i
Nursery

Re: bible study books most compatible with your beliefs

Postby scrivener » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41 pm

I have to say that one guy I really admire is Philip Yancey. He's a writer first, not a minister or whatever. I find so many problems with the way a lot of the popular writers write, but Yancey's got chops. I know this doesn't answer your questions, but aren't you a lot more likely to read something that disagrees with your worldview if the author knows how to write? I know I am.

One guy who comes pretty dang close is John Fischer; in particular, his books Read Christians Don't Dance and True Believers Don't Ask Why (the "don't" in each title is crossed out) have impressed me. These are collections of his columns as they appeared on the last page of CCM magazine, but they are really not music-related.

One of his books I thought was mind-blowingly good. It was called Making Real What I Already Believe, and I was struck by the way it was clearly not a book for EVERYONE. The problem for the longest time in Christian bookstores was that the market was so small, writers had to try to appeal to everyone, thereby not really saying anything specific and meaningful, the way pop music manages not to do anything new or meaningful since its goal is to appeal to as many people as possible. Fischer's book was definitely for a certain kind of person, perhaps at a certain place in life, and that made a world of difference. Definitely worth a read, if you can find it.

Fischer, by the way, is the musician who wrote "The All Day Song." You know it: "Love him in the morning, when you see the sun a-rising...love him in the evening 'cause he took you through the day...."
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Return to The OTHER Books