Christians are great eaters

Food! Food! Food!

Christians are great eaters

Postby lovetosing » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:56 pm

Christians are great eaters. :) Just an observation. Okay, maybe that came out kind of funny, but for me, it's so true! I've been introduced to previously unknown restaurant after restaurant through friends from church. Yummy! We go out to eat after service, or potluck, or bring dessert to bible study. Maybe it's just a "local" thing, for whatever reason, I'm thankful. Some of the great restaurants: Makino Chaya, Pah Ke's, Kikuya, Cinnamon's, Angelo Pietro. Of course, I enjoy the company and conversatons too.

Anyone else frequently continue fellowship at wonderful eateries?

Postby HB Admin » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:08 pm

Oops. I accidentally responded as Administrator rather than as scrivener! Gotta get used to this!
HB Admin
Site Admin

Postby scrivener » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:13 pm

I think this is a universal experience in the church, and I think there are a couple of really good reasons.

First, eating with others is an act of communion, both in the generic sense and with a capital C; very few things in our lives directly involve all five of our senses the way eating does, and when we engage all of those senses while sharing company with others, it becomes an intimate experience.

Second, there are other communal experiences people outside the church practice, but they don't work well in family-friendly settings. There's a reason a lot of people have a few drinks with their friends right after work, or why most neighborhoods have corner bars, where people can go for a drink and some conversation. The after-service potluck or the after-fellowship restaurant-visit is like the after-work cocktail, but without the stigma.

We need to be careful, though, don't you think? I mean, anything taken to excess is bad, and seems a lot of believers forget about gluttony!
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
Scrivener's Sudoku
Youth Choir

Return to Breaking Bread