Late Night Dining...

Food! Food! Food!

Late Night Dining...

Postby Foxen » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:22 pm

I am quite nocturnal, which isn't always a good thing because there are very few late night eateries to hang out and fellowship at... If you know of any great places to eat late night please post em' here.

Here are some of my favorite (and not so favorite midnight and later haunts)...

Zippys - of course.

Millions - on Sheridan St. near Ala Moana Wal Mart. Korean food, great stuff!

Sorabol - also Korean, on Keeamoku, and great food but expensive.

Fook Yuen - one of the few more affordable chinese dining places at night. At McCully Shopping Center.

Sanoyas - Japanese ramen...great place. Right on King and Hauoli St. near where the old Rhema Bookstore use to be. They close at 2pm.

Anna Millers - at Pearlridge. Great pies and desserts.

Miki's - on Waikamilo Road (I think) in Pearl City/Aiea near the Daie. Miki's is the ONLY late night plate lunch place that I know of...the food is very affordable and I believe they open now at 10pm and close whenever the food runs out.

Eggs and Things - great breakfast place in Waikiki.

Wailana Coffee House - another great breakfast place in Waikiki.

The Denny's by the Zoo use to be good, but it got shut down and rennovated into something that I'd consider quite disasterous.

Alright, just starting the list...hehe. I would love to explore new late night eateries...

Fox[/b]
Foxen
Nursery

Postby kaholo4Him » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:50 pm

i like sanoya's too... and eggs& things/anna millers...
i guess on par with the zippy's type eatery, there's likelike drive-in on keeaumoku and hungry lion coffee shop on nuuanu - i tend to stick with the breakfast type stuff like pancakes...

for late nite dim-sum, i've gone to panda cuisine (also on keeaumoku).

side-street inn is reputed to be a haunt for the local chefs after work & known for their food, though it looks like a bar...

izakaya like tokkuri-tei off kapahulu & imanas-tei by puck's alley, plus the new trendy shokudo...& gyu-kaku are pretty good, though i don't think they stay open super late. (okonomi cuisine) kai does open late on some nights (with a dj and a club vibe), but i'm not sure what type of food, if any, they serve after normal restaurant hours...
*romans 15:13*
kaholo4Him
Nursery

Postby lovetosing » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:55 pm

How late is "late-night?" Look what happens when you have two young children...11pm is late. :wink:

I enjoy going to Big City Diner in the Ward Entertainment Complex, or to the one in Kailua. The Times Coffee Shops in Kailua and Kaneohe have yummy food at very reasonable prices. Don't know how late they open.
lovetosing
Nursery

Postby Foxen » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:28 pm

Hehe...I consider late night anything opened past, err 11pm? Most places close by 9pm, while others by 10pm, but very few open past 11pm...

Big City Diner is pretty good...I totally forgot that they use to open late. Don't know about now. The one on Waialae use to stay open till about 1-2am, and unlike "bars" and other liquor oriented dining establishments, the food was afforable, tasty, and in bulk.

Now I am getting hungry...err.
Foxen
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:44 pm

If you don't mind sitting outside, Diners on King Street in Kalihi is open 24 hours. And Hungry Lion is only open all night on weekends.

Liliha Bakery is open 24 hours, except from Sunday night through Tuesday morning. If you don't mind sitting alongside your buddies at the counter, it's a great late-night hangout.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Re: Late Night Dining...

Postby scrivener » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:51 pm

Foxen wrote:Miki's - on Waikamilo Road (I think) in Pearl City/Aiea near the Daiei. Miki's is the ONLY late night plate lunch place that I know of...the food is very affordable and I believe they open now at 10pm and close whenever the food runs out.

Hmm. Waiakamilo is in Kalihi. Do you mean Waimano Home Road? Never heard of Miki's. Is it in the same building as Daiei?
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby Foxen » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:23 am

Oops, I meant to say Waimana Home Road...err. If you're headed makai side, Miki's is right past Kam Hwy...a little bit past the 7-11. It's a hole in the way eatery...there are a few benches outside, and the best way of finding it is looking for the line of hungry customers in front.
Foxen
Nursery

Yes, Diners in Kalihi, definitely, yes, has it all

Postby rapturos » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:40 am

First, theologically, highly appropriate stewardship wise, three-something for breakfast plates with eggs any style, choice of protein, and rice, 24-7. Then if you can come back in the morning (up until about 2:00PM), go over to the delicatessen section and get a portion of Pinoc Bet and "Bam" right in there with the breakfast plate and that's it, hawaiian soul food. Oorah!
rapturos
Youth Choir

A Prayer for the Dying

Postby rapturos » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:15 pm

And do make sure to try the custard pie at Kaneohe Bakery; they're right in the middle of Kaneohe town next to a laundromat and Whitney's Bar on the mountainside of the main drag; legend has it that mainlanders make pilgrimages to the bakery just to get that pie. I used to make sure to buy at least two (of the big ones) when going over to friends' places since I was going to end up eating a quarter of one myself. Alas, these ancient sites are soon to be no more for this world. If the Big Box stores don't do them in then the developers will. Someone ought to enshrine at least one in a food museum somewhere. Maybe it'll end up having to be a virtual food experience or somesuch when we're all left gnawing on Soylent Green :)
rapturos
Youth Choir

Return to Breaking Bread