Spritual-Themed Mainstream Television

Movies and TV

Spritual-Themed Mainstream Television

Postby scrivener » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:35 am

I'm going to give a big nomination to Early Edition, that wonderful ABC show about the guy who gets the newspaper the day before it's supposed to print, and so he spends his time preventing bad things from happening; meanwhile, he has difficulty keeping his own life straightened out. Great, great show, and perhaps the only TV show that featured God as a cat.

I'm also a huge fan of Little House on the Prairie, which I found very inspiring, and I still have fifty-six episodes of it on VHS, saved from my college days when I never could have known about DVDs.

I know Touched by an Angel leaps to everyone's mind, but man, that show was lame! Are there any other TV shows with spiritual themes (not necessarily Christian) that really move you?
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby macpro » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:23 pm

One program that had a good religious theme and got off to a good start was CBS's Joan of Arcadia. The series focused on a teenage girl Joan and her family, school and friends. The premise was that God had chosen Joan to test her faith in a number of situations. The program had interesting characters and was fairly well done, especially the first season. In the second season it somehow lost some of its appeal. I stopped watching for awhile and soon after it was gone.

More info on Joan of Arcadia: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367345/

The series ran on CBS 2003 to 2005.

Another series that my Mom and I liked was Christy, which began as a mini-series and then spun off into a weekly series on CBS I believe for one year before it sank because of low ratings. The series starred Kellie Martin as a schoolteacher who moves from a city to a backwood Tennesee mountain settlement called Cutter Gap in 1912. There she set tries to improve the life of the people there through her school and her sense of family values. The program wasn't overtly preachy, but had a fairly strong sense of traditional Christian messages weaved into the storylines. Towards the end of its short run it became a little more soap opera-ish as Christy had to choose between two of the areas eligible bachelors, one a doctor and the other the local preacher.

I also liked Touched by An Angel which was probably the most successful of the mainstream TV program with a spiritual theme in recent years.

More info on Christy here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109426
macpro
Nursery

Postby scrivener » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:58 am

Joan of Arcadia I liked very much, but man...Touched by an Angel used to make me ill. I just couldn't get into it. Sorry.

Have any of you seen Kevin Smith's film Dogma? I had a very deep response to that movie, even though many have hated on it.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Return to TV and Movies