Christmas Caroling at Honolulu Hale

Need help? Ask. Got help to give? Offer.

Christmas Caroling at Honolulu Hale

Postby rapturos » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:45 pm

For those who are up for it (so close to "The Big Day") a loosely constructed group is going Christmas caroling next to the Nativity scene at Honolulu Hale at about 9:00PM on Monday evening (12/24/07). Yes, that's Christmas eve. You don't have to be a zealot but it couldn't hurt. At least one (guitar player) is coming from Olivet Baptist. A few from Calvary Chapel Komo Mai and at least one from Calvary Chapel Kaneohe (me). Very little formality involved. Yes, we will allow ourselves to sing "Mele Kalikimaka" even though the theological import of the lyrics has never been examined exhaustively. I personally am going to try to sneak in "Holly Jolly Christmas" but do expect to be soundly rebuked and my suggestion rebuffed. Song sheets will be provided or at least you can expect to peek over someone's shoulder at their copy. I bring gospel tracts to hand out but that's only because I am a zealot. Be there, Aloha.
rapturos
Youth Choir

Re: Christmas Caroling at Honolulu Hale

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:48 pm

rapturos wrote:Yes, we will allow ourselves to sing "Mele Kalikimaka" even though the theological import of the lyrics has never been examined exhaustively.

:lol: You are too funny! I just asked my wife about caroling and she gave me the "meh" shrug. I guess we will see where the Spirit leads us tomorrow night. I really should spend some time with my Mom, sister and niece.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Postby scrivener » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:34 pm

How did it go? I love caroling, but I'm devoted to finishing my blasted paper this December.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
-----
Scrivener's Sudoku
scrivener
Youth Choir

Postby rapturos » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:28 am

Well, I almost had a heart attack when I arrived at the usual spot where the Nativity Scene is positioned, which is just Diamond Head of Honolulu Hale itself. The kids' carnival rides were lit further down towards Diamond Head and the big Christmas tree and monster Santa Claus display directly in front of the Honolulu Hale building were super well lit, but, no Nativity Scene to be found. I had to go up and down the area several times before moving in closer and finding that this year's Nativity Scene was actually a wire frame sculpture with lights outlining the Three Wise Men and the Manger Scene. But the power to that entire area had been cut off. Several members of Calvary Chapel Komo Mai were working feverishly (in the dark) to restore the power (the miniature electrical panel was hung on one of the monkey pod trees nearby) but to no avail. So with deep suspicions that this had all been engineered by The Powers That Be to deal a final death blow to any suggestion that the birth of Christ had anything to do with Christmas proper, we set up the music stand and guitar on the edge of the area (where at least some light was seeping in from the Christmas lights hung on some of the trees) and went for it. We had extra caroling song books and as people gathered around we passed them out and the group did get pretty big after a while. Some of the kids who came with their families did a bang up job with the refrains from the songs. Okay, I admit, I didn't actually get to sneak in "Holly Jolly Christmas". But, I worked an end around, and got in both "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" and "Jingle Bell Rock". My argument is they both mention at least peripherally rock, as in solid rock, or "The Rock", as in the rock of our salvation. So there's Jesus in there somewhere. Or as an old intinerant evangelist (Mondo Gonsalves) with Victory Outreach is used to preaching, "you smoke rock, you only get high, take one hit from The Solid Rock, you live forever". Hallelujah!
rapturos
Youth Choir

Postby Mark From Hawaii » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:20 pm

Oh man, talk about a lost opportunity. Actually I could have gone. Plus my office is just down the street on Alakea where I have some tools, a multi-meter and insulated electrical gloves. :oops: Probably could have gotten that power back on with a bit of trouble-shooting. I'm glad though, that the caroling caught some attention. Everyone - believers non-believers alike - loves a good Christmas song sung from the heart on Christmas eve. :wink:

As an old intinerant evangelist (Mondo Gonsalves) with Victory Outreach is used to preaching, "you smoke rock, you only get high, take one hit from The Solid Rock, you live forever". Hallelujah!

Amen! :mrgreen:
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
-Phil. 4:13
Mark From Hawaii
Children's Choir

Postby rapturos » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:13 pm

I mean like, really, work during the day for the night's coming when no man can work. Me thinks that this could be an evil experiment to see if anyone really noticed or cared if the Nativity scene was there or not. I heard someone did call into their representative to complain about the lights being out but apparently to no avail. What was kind of ominous is that I got a chance to go by there a few days later and Honolulu Hale was still lit up, the tree right behind the Nativity scene display was lit, but the Nativity scene and the little area around it was still dark. Watch out. Maybe next year it will be completely deleted. Too controversial, and plus it subtract's from the happy juices that keep the people buying, buying, buying. You know the drill. Even so, come Lord Jesus.
rapturos
Youth Choir

Return to Mission Opportunity